Fédération International des Sociétés
Amateurs ï Exlibris
Spolek sbìratelù a pøátel exlibris v Praze
Association des Collectionneurs et Amis ï Ex-libris a Prague
of International Exlibris
we have begun to be asked to also include here
information about competitions of graphic art in general, not
exclusively oriented just to bookplates, we have expanded our page.
The Directory of Competitions is arranged in order of the closing date for application. Those with the nearest closing dates are at the top of the directory.
If not possible to do it better, only the name and title of each competition are listed, together with basic information and the contact addresses of the organizers. In this case, please, contact the organizers directly to obtain the "rules", "instructions", "status" and more detailed information.
Considering the fact that the organizers of some competitions often postpone their deadlines without informing us, information about competitions remain posted here for a while after the listed deadlines
The page is arranged by Prof. Josef Chalupský to whom information on competitions should be sent.
The address is:
Druzstevni ochoz 52
CZ - 140 00 Prague 4,
The Second Exlibris Expo Exchange in Chang Zhou Wu Jin Exlibris Museum
Attachment: the rule of the competition
The Exlibris Competition Requirements of the 2016 China Exlibris Expo Exchange in
The 2016 China Exlibris Expo Seminars invites you to come and join the Exlibris competition, the exlibris means reading and collection. We invite you to attend and communicate directly with other exlibris lovers.
1. No restriction and limit about Exlibris’s original theme and creation time. (The competitor can send the magnum opus of each period as it is the first time held such competition)
2. Entries Requested:
a. Exhibition must be applied with X1, X2, X3, X5, X6, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C7, C8, lithograph, leak edition(S1, S2, S3). Computer printing, photography, painting, paper cutting,electrostatic copy, copy, photographic products and similar works will not be accepted; Exlibris submitted at least 4 kinds, 3 pieces of each kind; In order to fully display your exlibris creation and production talent, welcome send more excellent works
b. Entries must have a host name and Latin word EXLIBRIS. Universal exlibris will not be accepted.
c. The original of participating exlibris usually less than 17cm and without lining and mounting. The white
space around in the original must more than 1.5 centimeters, and the work must be tidy and no holes. According to international practice, you need to indicate cline to the painting paper from left to right in pencil: format, print number, the subject, author's name, the time to product. The exlibris don't write anything on the back, and keep it clean.
d. Entries must be attached with the introduction of author and collectors, zip code, address and email, and do not paste on the exlibris.
e. The domestic competition exlibris works which is created after 2006 must have exact print number. Foreign exlibris which created after 2014 must have the exact number(for example: 1/100)
If we receive the AP of new exlibris which created after 2014, we will not publish the congress catalogue.
Taking account of the sponsors can flow exlibris better, we can better to get help from sponsors in the future, and can better to promote the exlibris activities, so please offer understanding and support.
f. The works will be not returned, and the organizers have these rights: exhibition, publishing, collection, publicity, communication, selling, and without payment of royalties. The participant is deemed to agree with the terms.
3. The way of ranking:
a. the principle to rank: the principle that should embody fair, democracy and concentration, and which choose a way that collectors and organizers combine with professors to form the organizing committee to rank.
b. the number of person to gain prize: Honorable mention: twenty persons. the person who get the certificate of honor.
c. Those who will be selected into the competition will be promulgated the certificate of participating in the exhibition, and can be free to gain a catalogue about the exhibition.
4. The time to exhibit: 2016/10/28, which is tentative and the real date will be informed.
The place to exhibit: ChangZhou WuJin Phoenix Valley art galley or ChangZhou WuJin Holiday Hotel.
5. The time to stop and the place that you send by post. Time: the works to take part in the competition that should arrive at the destination before 2016/15/8.
In addition, the works what pass the appointed time that can not participate in the ranking, if the time is permitted, the works can participate in exhibition and the printing catalogue.
Phoenix Valley the fifth floor of art galley
YanZhengZhong avenue No. 29
China(ChangZhou WuJin Exlibris Museum)
Mr. Zhang Zheng
Zip Code: 213161
The phone number of the person to receive the package: Wang Rong 13358176998
E—mail: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
This version has been received
at April 16, 2016
BACÃU COUNTY COUNCIL
BACÃU COUNTY LIBRARY
RULES OF THE INTERNATIONAL EX LIBRIS EXHIBITION
GEORGE BACOVIA – PLUMB 1916 - 2016
George Bacovia (b. Bacau, 1881 – 1957) - writer, which was formed at the school French literary symbolism. While he initially belonged to the local Symbolist movement, his poetry came to be seen as a precursor of Romanian Modernism and being recognized as one of the most important Romanian poets.
This project is created with the occasion of 100 years since the first publication of the book Lead.
The theme of the exhibition is marking 100 years since the volume Lead and 135 years since the birth of the poet, presenting the most important aspects related to poems in the volume Lead, considered a masterpiece of Bacovian creation and the pinnacle of Romanian symbolism, the personality of George Bacovia through various ways of small graphics, enriching the patrimony Bacãu County Library.
Art. 1 - The exhibition is open without restriction to artists and designers from all over the world.
Art. 2 - Participating artists can submit an unlimited number of works in 3 copies each. The works must be conceived as authentic ex-libris (bookplates), a small-format art graphics of the highest aesthetic and technical quality, made to be pasted into books and to identify their owner.
They should include, integrated within the image, the words "ex libris..." or an equivalent (for example, "From the library of...", "This book belongs to...", etc.), followed by the name of a living person or of a library of a currently existing institution by whom or by which it was commissioned, or to whom it is dedicated or for which it was made.
Pseudo ex libris and other graphic forms shall not be admitted for the exhibition (i.e. Ex libris George Bacovia or Ex libris Plumb).
Art. 3 - All the print techniques are allowed, monotypes and photocopies not included.
The maximum admitted size of the work is 14 cm x 14 cm.
Each print must be signed, dated and numbered by the artist, and must bear legibly on the back in pencil: the artist's name, address, year of creation, the technique(s), the dimensions and opus number. If the artist has not used Latin alphabet in the printed inscription, he is required to write a translation into English on the back of the print. Also, if for reasons of design he/she has exceptionally chosen to integrate into the image only the owner's initials, the artist must write the owner's full name on the back of the print.
The works will be accompanied by a list containing the name of the owner, the technique used, dimensions, year of realization, opus number of the work, artist's address and curriculum vitae.
The deadline for submitting works is August 30th 2016, the stamped postal date on the envelope being decisive. Artists are however requested to send material earlier, whenever possible.
Material for the exhibition must be sent to the following address:
Biblioteca Judeþeana „Costache Sturdza” Bacãu
Str. Aleea Parcului nr. 9
Bacãu Cod 600043
with note ,,Pentru Expoziþia de Ex-Libris Plumb”.
Art. 4 - All works sent for the exhibition remain in the organizers’ property and will be registered in the collections of the Art Department of the County Library,, Costache Sturdza ", is then used to organize exhibitions and to illustrate some printed materials: magazines, programs, catalogs, leaflets, posters (indicating the author's name).
A jury consisting of graphic artists will select the works for the exhibition.
Art. 5 - The exhibition will be open on November 2016 to the Bacãu County Library „Costache Sturdza”.
A catalogue will be published on the occasion, all artists included in the exhibition will receive a free of charge copy within a 6 months since the oppening. Each artist will be informed on the decision of the jury.
It is presumed that taking part in the contest means to accept the above regulation.
Manager, Anca Sion
Illustrated invitation is
Municipal Cultural Center
INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION EX LIBRISA
Gallery Meander Apatin (for Ex libris exhibition 2016)
IV. "LA TORRE DE L´ENCENALL "
WOOD ENGRAVING AWARD
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Artists of any nationality may participate.
Works shall be unpublished.
The subject is free, and the technique is Woodcut. All techniques set out in the FISAE (InternationaFederation of Ex - libris Societies) regulations concerning Woodcut are admitted (abbreviated X).
The award has three categories:
- Children's engraving award (up to 12 years old)
- Young artists’ engraving award (aged 13 to 17)
- Adults’ engraving award
The minimal measurements of the woodblock are 7 x 8
cm, the maximum is 18 x 13 cm; the maximum measurements of the printing paper are 38 x28 cm.
Each participant may present 1 unframed original work from a maximum of 5 original works that willnot be returned, in order to enlarge the Municipal Archives collection.
The works must be presented with the title on the back and accompanied by the fact sheet for each work and a brief CV of the author in a sealed envelope.
The works must be sent to the
Arxiu Municipal de Torredembarra
(Municipal Archives of Torredembarra)
at Plaça del Castell, 8
between Monday and Friday from 08.30 to 14.30, tel. (0034) 977640025.
The delivery and collection of the artist's works is the responsibility of the artist. The organisation will accept no complaints regarding possible damane or losses.
The admission period for original works ends on 14 October 2016. As for shipping, count as a valid date, which will take the seal stamped by the origin’s post office.
A single award is established for each category, which may be declared void.
- Children's and Young’s category: 200€ engraving m
aterial and a certificate.
- Adult category: 1000 Euros and a certificate
The monetary award is conceived as a monetary reward for the rights of acquisition of the work and the edition of 33 signed copies, numbered 1/33 to 33/33, which must be handed it as a previous requirement before getting the prize. The amount is the gross amount received by the winner
The Jury shall be with the following people: Ms. Merce ALONSO, Mr. Maria CASAS, Mr. Francesc FONTBONA, and MR. Antoni GELONCH
The jury’s decisions are final.
The jury’s decision shall be notified to the participants in autumn 2016 and the award ceremony will be held in the course of an event specified in time to give the verdict.
The award winning work will remain property of the Town of Torredembarra, kept in the MunicipalArchives, and it will possess all legal rights of publishing, it being understood that the artist
renounces property of the work and any right to complaint.
The winning piece shall be distributed to centres specializing in engravings so they can exhibit themto the public.
The artists chosen authorise the citation of thein names, as well as the possible photographic reproduction of their works in brochures, books, posters, media and activity programmes of theorganisation,
The exhibition of the works selected will take place inTorredembarra.
The organisers reserve the right to resolve any aspect not covered in these terms and conditions.
Taking part in this competition constitutes accept
ance of these terms and conditions.
Sponsor: Culture Department of the Town of Torredem
Organiser: Torredembarra Municipal Archives
The Competition Rules
(in four languages)
The Entry Form
The entries have to be sent
before November 1, 2016
Internationaal Exlibriscentrum Sint-Niklaas
03 778 34 61
EX LIBRIS HLOHOVEC
16th international art contest in creation of book plates for children aged from 6 to 15
Theme: THE WORLD AROUND US
THE CONTEST CONDITIONS
1. Elementary schools from 12 to 15 - ex libris designs
2. Elementary schools from 12 to 15 - ex
3. Art schools from 12 to 15 - ex libris
4. Computer graphics from 12 to 15
5. Free category for children from 6 to 11
1. Create the final version of the draft in a black and white combination by Indian ink, so that it will be clear what graphic techniques it is proposed to. Drawings created by a pencil, pastel or shade drawings do not meet this requirement. Mässer plates are successful at creation of designs.
2. Use any of the graphic techniques like lino-engraving, lino-cut, wood-cut, wood-engraving, plastic-engraving, a dry needle, etching, engraving, imprint from cardboard , imprint from a template, etc. for your original ex libris in one or more colours.
3. In the category of computer graphics will be accepted also only graphics create by yourselves.
4. The size of the contest works is not allowed to exceed 13 x 9 cm, and they must be placed in the middle of a white drawing paper of the size 21 x 15 cm (A5). The proposal can be created directly on white drawing paper, or you can cut it out from another background and glue it to the required drawing paper. It is necessary to print the original ex libris directly, another version cannot be assessed!
5. All contest works must include the text and picture parts. It is the designation of EX LIBRIS, EXLIBRIS, FROM BOOKS, BOOK, the name and surname of the owner or institution. You can use your name with an abbreviation (Jozef SOKOL, J.SOKOL). The professional jury will not assess works with initials (e.g. A.K.,J.S., etc.), or nicknames – MIMI, FERI.
6. The picture part must have a direct relation to the topic of the contest. Go through the methodical instructions very carefully and follow them.
7. Each contestant is not allowed to send more than 2 contest works!
8. All contest works have to contain the full name of the author, his/her age, address of school or the sender at the back of the paper. It would be suitable to write also the author's gender. Bulk shipments must be accompanied by a list of contestants with all the required information. Please write the age of the author not the school year, which he attends! We also ask for the name of the ex libris, so that we could check if you comply with the topic.
9. Use the Slovak language in your correspondence with organisers of the contest, foreign participants are required to communicate in English.
10. Registered contest works will remain in the possession of the organisers with the right to exhibit them and use them for promotional and other purposes. The participants accept the conditions of the contest by sending their application. It is only possible to send the works to the contest EX LIBRIS HLOHOVEC that were not part of another contest or exhibition!
11. The deadline for sending the contest works is January 31, 2017 to the address:
EX LIBRIS AD PERSONAM HLOHOVEC
Námestie sv. Michala 3
920 01 Hlohovec
Please do not leave sending your contest works to last days, you will thus complicate the work of organisers.
12. The jury reserves the right not to award a prize if the contest works in a given category do not reach a satisfactory level. The best works of the 16th year of the contest will be exhibited at a separate exhibition, they will be included in travelling exhibitions or published. The works that do not comply with the specified criteria will be excluded from the assessment.
13. The ceremonial announcement of the results of the contest, awarding and other activities will be held on October 6, 2017 in Hlohovec. The organisers will inform the participants on the details in a separate invitation. The results of the contest will be published in the official bulletin, on www.elap-hlohovec.sk and in mass media. For more information call the number : 00 421 33 7424657, or send an e-mail to: email@example.com www.elap-hlohovec.sk
Dear Contestants, we welcome your decision to participate in the 15th year of our contest, and, as in previous years, we offer you some advice. With it you can avoid making mistakes in creating contest works and achieve better results.
A good ex libris is based on a well-performed design that represents a creative connection of picture and text parts. How to proceed in creation of a design? The picture part is based on the selected topic, and that is why you should look for the signs that are specific to it. The text part is unambiguous. You know who the ex libris is created for /write his/her name and surname/, and you also know that you have to write the designation of EXLIBRIS, EX LIBRIS or its variations FROM BOOKS, BOOK, LIBRARY in your own language on a contest work. The text parts should be connected to the picture part in an artful way so that they create an ex libris composition. You should look for such art elements that will depict it and freshen it up. Selection of a type of writing is very important, it should be legible, reasonably big and placed in the space. You should select the surface type of writing, and should not underestimate its role. Connection of the picture and text in an artistic way is typical for a good ex libris.
The text and picture parts form together a format /size/ of a book plate. The size of an ex libris is not allowed to exceed the size 13 x 9 cm. We recommend that you should create designs, and also original works, in a smaller size. It is more suitable for using in practice, ex libris is mainly designated for books. Keep this fact in mind.
Place the design on a drawing paper of format A5 (21 x 15 cm). Draw diagonals by a pencil and determine the middle of the surface. Draw a rectangle round the middle with the size not larger than a maximum size of your future work / 13 x 9 cm/. Start your composition of the picture and text parts from the middle. After finishing your proposal, decide if it will be with a frame, or you will keep the outlines created by the composition. The composition can have different shapes: square, rectangular, circle, oval, triangular or polygonal.
The contest design has to be worked out by Indian ink using a pen or a brush in such a form that will predetermine your decision what graphic techniques you want to use for your proposal. You can choose from lino-engraving, lino-cut, wood-cut, wood-engraving, paper-engraving, by a dry needle, plastic-engraving or etching.. Mässer plate is also successful at creation of designs. Creation of a design that cannot be technically realised in practice is a very common mistake. Remember that linear pen-and-ink drawing is suitable for a dry needle, combination of surfaces is typical for lino-engraving, lino -cut, plastic-engraving, and other similar techniques.
If you create your design by a white tempera or a white pastel on a dark piece of paper, you will see immediately which lines or places you will remove by a graver or knife. And do not only finish with the design, try to create a matrix according to it for printing the original ex libris. It should be the aim of your effort, mainly with students of art schools. Printing out the original on a graphic press is a perfect adventure when you suddenly can see the result of your effort.
For the 16th year of the international art contest EX LIBRIS HLOHOVEC we chose the theme “THE WORLD AROUND US”. We are full of expectations how you will be able to deal with this demanding theme. But being helped by your teachers and parents, you will be surely successful.
The world around us is always getting changed and this movement is characterised by transport. Planes, trains, automobiles, the transport in the streets of cities or in underground, bicycles, ships, and many other means of transport provides transport of persons or goods. In some parts of the world they are just some simple carriages or carts pushed by human power. So in the first case you could make your works on the theme of transport.
The world around us is permanently in movement and it is still in progress. New plants come into existence, new people and animals are born. They grow up gradually and, in the life circle, they are getting old. The old always leaves to be replaced by the young. However, there are some things which have lasted for centuries. Try to find some of them in your neighbourhood and use them in your pictures. All our life is accompanied by metamorphosis. In the world we can observe also climate changes unknown until now. The glaciers are melting and many countries suffer from storms or earthquakes. People run away from their homes before floods and in the other side of our planet, there are drought, poor harvest and increasing temperatures. These changes are caused by human activities. We put too many poisonous substances into the air. There is more and more waste around us and our rivers are dirtier. In the second case, these things which pollute our planet the most can be expressed in your works, as well as the results of natural disasters seen and understood by children’s eyes.
The world around us is getting changed in the way that we have not known before. Explosions in the city centres full of people bring pain, suffering and death to the innocents. Wars and violence have started in many continents and we are the witnesses of injustice and fear of millions leaving their homes to get better future. People from war zones run to safe places using any and all means of transport. They wish the only thing – life in peace. Also these facts can be found in your graphics. We are sure that the most of you can see the big changes of the world and you are not indifferent to them.
The themes explained to you are not easy. But thanks to information technologies you can see what happens in the world, so we can be sure that you can get on top of the theme. Then, again, we will see beautiful children’s ex librises. Some of them may express something sad, gloomy and painful. However, against violence we must fight by all means. And art belongs among the most effective of them.
Dear young friends, you are invited to the difficult but definitely actual theme, sounding in the world around us. Ask the older and more experienced for advice, look into books, newspapers and magazines, and express the result by the unique children’s view which has the extraordinary magic and power. We are looking forward to you in our ex libris town Hlohovec.
Contest Organizing Committee
An international annual competition with the premise to show the variety of art medium. The aim is to gather and to exhibit contemporary works from all over the world and to contribute to the contacts and the exchange between artists, art lovers and collectors and to stimulate the research into Painting, Drawing, Collage, Watercolor, Photography…
With a Respect to the Quality of Art, not to the Size of Art!
LESSEDRA Gallery & Contemporary Art Projects
25, Milin Kamak Street, Lozenetz
1164 Sofia, Bulgaria
Tel.(++359 2) 866 38 57
LESSEDRA Gallery & Contemporary Art Projects
Founded in 1991.
Contemporary Bulgarian and International Art. Projects, Workshops and Exhibitions.
Books/Catalogues and CDR for the Arts.
Lessedra World Art Print Annual – Mini Print – 13th edition in 2014, 14th edition in 2015.
International Painting & Mixed Media Competition 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th edition.
1. Each artist should send no more than 3 original works, created in 2014/2015. Entries may feature any type of Painting, Drawing, Collage, Watercolor, Photography, Digital, Mixed Media…and should be signed by the artist. The works could be executed on paper, canvas, cardboard etc… VERY IMPORTANT: No frames or mounts… The maximum dimensions of a work are 15 x 15 cm = equal to 5,9 x 5,9 inches. The image can be same size or smaller. Please note this is the limiting size. Smaller works any size are accepted. Works exceeding the limited size will be neglected!
2. The application (entry) form should accompany the work, including the name and the nationality of the artist as well as the title, price, year and the technique used in the work.
3. The works should be sent to LESSEDRA Gallery & Contemporary Art Projects as works “For Exhibition only” by registered air–mail in a simple packet, unframed, without mount, bearing the declaration “No commercial value”. Please note: packages with declared amounts arrive directly in the customs so they shall be returned back from the customs for the costs of the sender.
4. Participation fee is 50 EUR for all European and 70 USD for all another countries and it covers CD – catalogue production, organization of the exhibition, invitations, posters, advertise materials, return of works and postage. It has to be paid with the message “Painting Exhibition”
Bank transfers should be made to:
For transfers in EUR
Valya Radneva Georgieva
First Investment Bank, 1000, Sofia, Bulgaria, 12, Narodno Sabranie Sq.
BIC (Bank Identification Code) — FINVBGSF
IBAN (International Bank Account Number) — BG27FINV91502004531994
For transfers in USD
Valya Radneva Georgieva
First Investment Bank, 1000, Sofia, Bulgaria, 12, Narodno Sabranie Sq.
BIC (Bank Identification Code) — FINVBGSF
IBAN (International Bank Account Number) — BG86FINV91502004531999
PayPal payments accepted on the email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheques not accepted.
Transfers via Western Union or via MoneyGram on the name of Valya Radneva Georgieva and Cash (when legal) are accepted.
Participants should enclose a copy of the receipt.
Payment of the entry fee is not a guarantee for acceptance! The jury for previous selection is appointed to make the selection of artists & works with the intention to keep the high professional level of the exhibition. If for any reasons artist is rejected we send back works and return entry fee reduced by the postage.
1. LESSEDRA Gallery & Contemporary Art Projects will publish a four color printed catalogue including all accepted artists. Every participating artist is kindly requested to send a brief biography and a personal photograph on a CD or via e-mail for the web presentation of the project.
2. LESSEDRA Gallery & Contemporary Art Projects reserves the right to photograph and reproduce works for CDR, Internet gallery and also for advertising, commercial and publicity purposes.
1. JURY will be appointed to select the winning works.
2. There will be the following PRIZES:
First Prize (USD 300 = purchase of work(s) by additional agreement and invitation for a solo presentation of the artist in conjunction with the next annual exhibition).
Second Prize (USD 100) & purchase of work(s) by additional agreement.
Third Prize (USD 100) & purchase of work(s) by additional agreement.
3. There is no commission payable to LESSEDRA Gallery & Contemporary Art Projects on the sales of the works.
4. Exhibition with works of all accepted artists will be organized in Lessedra Gallery, Sofia, Bulgaria in the time December 15th 2015 – February 15th 2016.
Opening reception on December 15th at 7 p.m.
While the works will be handled with the utmost care, LESSEDRA Gallery & Contemporary Art Projects will not be responsible for loss or damage due to natural disasters.
The works (if unsold) will be returned within five months from the closing date of the exhibition at the cost of LESSEDRA Gallery & Contemporary Art Projects.
Entries should be sent to:
Mr. Georgi Kolev Georgiev
25, Milin Kamak Street, Lozenetz
1164 Sofia, BULGARIA
Entry Form can be downloaded from this site.
Entries are accepted from September until November 10th 2015.
Packages postmarked November 10th 2015 will be accepted.
Updated Septembers 27, 2016